From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:19:36 EDT

Date:    Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:25:21 -0400
From:     Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Hand mittens and  breastfeeding

I did an archive search and came up with some informative  posts on the use
of hand mits. I am trying to educate staff about skin to  skin and I am
tired of seeing all of these babies with their hands covered.  It gets in
the way of breastfeeding and it sends the message that the more a  baby is
covered the better.  I think I will try to start with getting  hands
uncovered and then work from there!!   :-)
... I have seen some babies really grab at their faces resulting in  a
scratch, but I am wondering if this grabbing motion is a sign of stress. I
have heard that babies who put their hands towards their ears are actually
stressed. Maybe instead of putting on mitts we should show mom how to calm
baby. Also reassure moms that the possibility of a little scratch is not
that big of a deal.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Christine  Lichte IBCLC, LLL Leader

Christine and all LACTNETTERS,
I have never understood why mothers are not encouraged to CUT the baby's
fingernails.  My husband has NEVER cut my kids' nails (6 yrs and 4.5 yrs)
because he is too afraid that he will cut their skin.  Can't imagine that  there are
women out there who are worried about the same thing and never get  shown
that they should cut the fingernails rather than swaddle/cover/mitten the  baby's
hands.  I use cuticle scissors on my kids' nails and they are great,  much
easier to handle than nail clippers IMHO and definitely better than biting  the
nails!!  I really think my husband's fear stems from the nurses telling  us we
weren't "allowed" to cut their nails while in hospital.  This is the  perfect
opportunity to show a mother another skill for taking care of her baby  while
educating her on why baby's hands do what they do (i.e. move to the ears
with stress, move to the breast to elicit the oxytocin response, move to the
mouth as a feeding cue).
Christie Pillado
El Paso, TX