From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 13:57:10 -0600
I just learned that yet another woman in our town who is about to become
a mother has chosen to bottle feed from the word "go".  I just do not
UNDERSTAND why women who have the choice to fully breastfeed, would
actually chose not to.

Of course, I have to keep my mouth shut, to avoid offending people and
making them feel guilty.  However, and I am saying this here but
wouldn't very many other places, isn't it actually APPROPRIATE for a
woman who has chosen of her own free will to subject her child to
increased illness throughout his life should feel guilty?  Our society
doesn't worry too much about making mothers feel guilty about subjecting
their children to illness by smoking during pregnancy or filling the air
their little ones breath with cigarette smoke.

Now, I'm not speaking of those women who really wanted to nurse, but
were not successful because of not being given the support and
information they needed by the people they trusted to do so, or whose
efforts were literally sabotaged by bad advice, hospital policies etc..
At least those women had a desire to give their babies breast milk.  But
for someone who has not yet even given birth to her first baby to decide
that she is not willing to even try to give him what he needs just blows
my mind!

It just makes me sad.  Sad for the baby, the mother, and a little sad
for myself to see someone who has an opportunity I fought tooth and nail
for and never had decide to just throw that opportunity away like an old
shoe!

End of rant.  Thanks for listening!

Aloha,
Darillyn