From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 11:20:12 -0800
I have been buried in final exams and papers and am quite behind in
readings, let alone postings. However this is a quick posting to clarify
certain points from my introduction to Lactnet that have been brought to
my attention. (I admit I am a Net Newbie, and in the interest of
brevity, I perhaps was too brief.)  In no particular order or emphasis
then,  1) I was certified IBCLC in 1987 (in Chicago), not 1988
("graduate student senility syndrome" - sorry), and 2) the IBCLC is
presently in an inactive status pending completion of graduate school
(one only has so much money and/or time) and 3) while my private
lactation practice is active, I do not advertise nor am I on anyone's
paid staff (medical or private organization)as an LC - I recieve
referrals purely word-of-mouth through moms I have previously helped
(since 1981) and that is sufficient to combine with graduate school (I
nearly always have at least one, if not more, active cases that I am
following) and 4) although I am equally qualified to work in PICU and
L&D, I work primarily in NICU and am an expert in the growing premie,
especially with transition onto the breast prior to discharge.
        Just to make it clear...   :-)    I am happy to be in the company of
the Lactnetters, just awfully busy.