From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:42:07 EDT

I think we are faced with the same challenges for the MS/MA programs in
lactation as the PhD programs.  Until the profession grows, from the bottom  up I
think, rather than the top down, individuals will be faced with designing
multidepartmental degrees.  But, whatever the focus, for example, public  policy,
anat & phys, maternal/child health, practice specialization areas,  teaching,
etc., there should be required courses at the university level, in  person on
campus.  Fully distance learning and programs that require a few  weeks on
campus prior to graduation.with Master's and PhD degrees are not  credible in
the traditional academic community. If  MS and PhDs in  lactation are to be
taken seriously, degrees have to be earned in the  traditional way, taught by
qualified instructors.  Things change very  slowly in academia.  My friends and
family who teach at the university  level say these types of distance programs
are commonly referred to as  "matchbook universities".  Harsh perhaps, but if
that is the prevailing  view (and I'm not saying it is; my sample size is 4) is
that what we want for  our profession?

What do you do with an advanced degree (MS) once you have it?  For  those
looking for more $$, I equate this wish with the exam takers who are  taking the
exam primarily because they think their hospitals will give them  raises or
private practice is lucrative.  At this point, I'd see doing  advanced study
primarily for the joy of it.  Yes, eventually, hopefully,  teaching if that's
your thing.  As for recovering the expense of continuing  one's education, I
spend an average of $1000 each year on textbooks,  journal subscriptions, etc.
Conference attendance is extra.  I don't  do it expecting 'returns'.  I do it
because it is my professional  responsibility and because I enjoy learning.

Barbara Ash, MA, IBCLC