From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:57:04 -0800
 Karen:  You didn't mention how old the baby is now or how its weight is,
but it sounds like this mom needs to be linked up with some local support.
Is there either an LLLL or teen-parenting support group with someone who
will come and sit with her.  Encourage her to sleep with the baby with
little or no clothing and tell her that skin to skin contact promotes
prolactin.  Also, I've taken to teaching all moms about infant massage and
its benefits (increased wt gain for one).  Personally, I think it helps the
mom as much as baby.  If she absolutely must "DO" something to get milk up
and going, how about trying some Fenugreek?
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )------------**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**------------------ : )