Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:06:03 +0000
Heather, I am sorry you thought my questions were 'ridiculous' and
that my tone was 'disingenuous'. I can only try to assure you of my
sincerity - difficult to convince you of this in email, but please
indulge me!

Of course I am aware that a lot of things we do are not evidence
based -  they come from experience, observation and practice. That
does not stop me wanting to know which bits of practice are which :)

I am genuinely interested in finding out how and why scales are used
pre- and post- feeding. This is not something that has been done here
for many years, and even if it was, I might not be permitted to do it
as a breastfeeding counsellor. So I have zero direct experience and
very little indirect experience....that does not mean I am not
interested, and in fact, the lack of experience makes me more
interested!

Maybe we are missing something here in the UK;  maybe in clinical
situations, especially, where serious issues are being fixed,  pre-
and post- feeding weights would help.  This was Gonneke's point  -
she can't imagine a situation where measuring the baby's  intake,
however accurately , would be useful, but as she says, she does not
work with pre-term infants.

I did not know, for example, that there were scales designed
specially for this purpose (though KJC asks whether they are a
genuine development or just a marketing response to existing
practice). I had also forgotten that bottles (Jennifer's question)
may not be calibrated accurately - and Gonneke's advice  seems to
suggest a builder's spirit level might be another tool for the
breastfeeding supporter ; )

The paper I mentioned from the BMJ turns out to be no more than a
news report of the ADC study, so it is not 'new' at all, sorry.

I am sure many of use do things which we find useful in our practice
are not common to us all - and there are things I do which others
might wonder about.

But surely we can ask *questions* of each other. That's how we learn
and exchange what we know and do.

I hope more people will post about this.

Heather Welford Neil

NCT bfc, tutor, UK