From:
Jparks1041 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:29:05 EST

<< Someone mentioned yesterday using saline nose drops instead of
 breastmilk for a baby with a cold....are there any suggestions on how I
should recommend that she dispense it?>>

I did this with my son before I knew anyone else did so....as for
"dispensation", I just held him in the cradle position, head down slightly
more than feet, and squirted (hand expressed) into his nostrils.  Worked
wonders, and it did not traumatize him like the rubber bulb thing did.  I used
this often in the middle of the night when he would wake, try to nurse, and be
unable to breathe because of the mucus blockage.  BTW, I also used breastmilk
in his eyes (pooled in clean hand, then dumped on his eyes and rubbed gently)
with a post-birth eye infection.  I have read the Jelliffes saying that this
is a common practice in other cultures.

Joy Berry-Parks