From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:41:24 -0400
> Date:    Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:28:51 -0700
> From:    "Johnson, Martha (Lactation-SHMC)" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Toxins in milk--second try

>  You are =
> quite right about us losing the battle by saying "there's bad stuff in =
> formula, too."  I have done this in letters to the editor, and gotten =
> back the same bioaccumulation due to higher place on the food chain =
> argument.

though I am in agreement I just wanted to add that although cows are
naturally vegetarian, in this country they are fed other animals - chickens,
dogs and cats from shelter kills and other cows. It depends on how much you
want to argue this issue with the editor I suppose.

>  I remember reading a summary of a journal article that =
> appeared in the Rental Round-up a few years back, that pointed toward a =
> possibility that some toxins are "disarmed" by breastmilk components, I =
> can't recall details, I will go look in my files for the citation if I =
> get time at work today.

Dr. Michel Odent has offered this theory in is book "The Farmer and the
Obstetrician" - I am unable to find the page info but will look it up ASAP.

I don't know about everyone else, but I am feeling very discouraged about
this. The article I read (at cnn.com :
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/09/23/environment.milk.ap/index.html ) was so
discouraging that I actually began to have a "panicky" feeling about my
exclusively breastfed daughter, did I do her a disservice? for ME to be
thinking that is evidence that the general public could easily takr this as
an all out damnation of breastmilk. Add to the mix these adverts people have
seen showing bar charts on "mental development like breastmilk" it begins to
look like:

breastmilk: loaded with toxins that cause mental delay
formula: loaded with DHA which promotes mental development

who is going to win that one?

Michelle DePesa