From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:02:05 +0200
Barb wrote about finally getting a pumping room set up at her hospital, for
employees, and this episode ensued:
"Today at a meeting attended by nursing leadership, 2 attendees approached
our director to tell her what a silly idea they thought this room was.
They commented that nurses can use a closet or a bathroom to pump and (I'm
taking a deep breath now..)  then said, "Next thing you know, we'll have to
have a room for the guys to go in to masturbate."

Our director fought back with comments about how the hospital will save
money and retain staff, but I don't think they heard a thing."

Barb, if only your director had responded by saying, 'I'm SO glad you
brought that up.  We've already thought of that, and since there will often
be topless women in the pump room, we figured we could kill two birds with
one stone.  Male employees will also have full access, and we are
investigating having specially adapted pumps for JUST that purpose.  Let no
one accuse us of discrimination!'

Last week it was public urination; this week ??
Some things are too silly to be taken seriously and this is one of them.
Unfortunately the people with whom such lamentable ignorance originates must
be taken all too seriously.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway