From:
Colleen McKeown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:51:26 -0800
I must comment on this as I had an interesting case of HSV in a client and baby.  In this particular situation, the baby was 9 months old and developed cold sores around his mouth.  The mother then subsequently developed vesicles on her  breasts primarily in the areolar region. I photographed these and thought these vesicles looked herpetic.  I called and sent her to her midwife who then cultured the vesicles and sure enough the report came back HSV.
 Interestingly, the mother herself did not have a history or any known incidence of herpes prior to this.  They had been on a  family trip for a couple weeks in  late summer visiting relatives and she called me at home on Labor Day. I saw her the next day in the office. The baby's lesions had healed.  The vesicles on one of the breasts had healed sufficiently but not completely on the other.The mother pumped to maintain her milk supply on the affected breast, nursed on the unaffected breast and resumed breastfeeding on both when the lesions were healed.
So, in this case it seems that the baby transmitted the infection to the mother as he presented first with the cold sores. How he developed them in the first place is unanswered. I presented this case at a MILC ( Metropolitan Illinois Lactation Consultant Association) meeting years ago( 2003 ish) and prior to its disbanding and have not seen a case like this since.

 Colleen McKeown MS,FNP-BC,IBCLC