From:
"Smith, Mary Kay" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 08:20:49 -0500
Hi everyone,

We have been having a huge discussion lately about how much to bottle feed babies...several calls have come in to Pediatrics about parent's not feeding enough or feeding too much. I commented 'why don't we teach bottlefeeding parents about signs of hunger and satisfaction' and related the CCK message. Our head neonatologist said "that's only for breastfeeding babies, bottlefed babies don't produce that" ...what? Doesn't everyone produce CCK in the gut to tell you when you should stop eating or know when you are full?

I have to tell you all that this doctor trained with Larry Gartner at UIC as a pediatric resident....but apparently did not retain any of the knowledge.

I learned about CCK in nutrition class many years ago...could someone please help me out?

Mary Kay Smith, RN, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Consultant
Henry Ford Hospital
Detroit MI
313-916-8363 office
146-4333 in house pager
313-990-4333 long range pager

"Babies are born to breastfeed"

[cid:image001.png@01CE1BD5.D7882190]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sending party by reply email, delete the email from your computer system and shred any paper copies.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using e-mail to communicate with us. See our Privacy & Security page on www.henryford.com for more detailed information as well as information concerning MyChart, our new patient portal. If you do not believe that our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send e-mail or Internet communications to us.