From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:09:43 -0500
Gonneke said,

" Very large babies (over 4.5kg) indeed seem to want to bf more. Might this
in some cases be because the mom has a mild unnoticed pregnancy diabetes and
the baby instinctively wants to get sugar in?"

Interesting idea.  I suppose that could be true in some cases, but I tend to
think that they need more calories to sustain their weight and grow so they
are insuring a plentiful supply by nursing frequently and bringing the milk
in sooner.  Just my theory, but I tell moms that the baby wants the full
milk supply in "yesterday" so is telling her body, 'let's get this show on
the road'.  Their milk often does come in sooner.  I know we all have our
own theories and explanations for things we see that have no research based
explanation, but that makes sense to me.  What do you all think?
Marsha