Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:22:14 -0700
You know, I think my mother was quite the "granola mom" for her era...she
nursed me 7.5 mos of time and she also wet-nursed a friend of her's son once
while babysitting him.

I myself have nursed a good friend of mine's son too.  When my 2nd daughter,
Nyssa, was born, her older sister Sandrine went to stay with my in-laws for
4 days and I stayed at my friend's house.  The advantage was a bit of
relaxation time without running around after a toddler and caring for a
newborn...the drawback was there was no older toddler to relieve my
engorgement.  And engorged I did get...Nyssa was barely able to cope with
her side alone (I assigned them their own separate sides when Nyssa was
born) and I didn't even try to get her to nurse off Sandrine's side.  But
needless to say, I was in pain relatively quickly, within 12 hours of
Sandrine leaving us.  I hand expressed ounces upon ounces and didn't feel
much relief.  My friend and I decided we'd go to get me a double pump but
she had no car for most of the days I was there and it was winter and it was
a long bus ride to the pump place...so we ended up only able to get the pump
on the last day I was there (and I think I pumped 20 oz off the one side the
first time I used it...).  In the meantime, she offered me her son, who was
4.5 mos old.  I nursed him twice, once in the morning and once at night, and
even he had a hard time with all the milk I had.  He took the edge off but
that was it really.  :-P

I donated milk to a friend for both her sons; she had had a breast reduction
many years previously and didn't have a full milk supply...so I donated what
I could.  We often joked that with my oversupply/overactive letdown, it
would have been nice to live close together (as it was, it was an 8 hour
trip for the milk to make, overnight, to get to her!) so that I could nurse
for nourrishment and she could nurse for comfort, or basically be our
babies' "human pacifier".  ;-)  However, her sons were 10 mos and 16 mos
younger than my 2 children (respectively) so by the time I was pumping for
them, my supply had at least finally levelled off to something more
manageable.  I donated for 12 mos to her first, and only for 6 mos to her
2nd given the bigger age gap.  The massive amounts of colostrum-rich milk I
pumped in Nyssa's early days though, I did send quite a bit of that to her
for her older son, even though he was older than a year (closer to 2 years)
since she had been complaining he was getting more colds and ear infections
and what-not having gone back to daycare.  So he did get a new bolus of milk
for a short while there too around 2yo.  What I didn't send to her and kept
pumping after Nyssa was born I donated to a milk bank when I made a visit
out to BC (was living in Québec then) since there is one here in BC.

Fio

--
Maman to Sandrine, 8, Nyssa 5, and laat lametjie due 8/08.
«The best love affairs are those we never had.» -- Norman Lindsay

http://babystrology.com/tickers/baby-ticker-glass.swf?parent=Fio&year=2008&month=8&day=20&babycount=1
http://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/bg701712.jpg
http://www.rabais-coupons.com pour des coupons virtuels