From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:19:40 -0500
>>>Is the mom attaching baby lower jaw first a la Jack Newman's
recommendations.... Some of the best drawings are a paper titled "When
Latching" which you can find at the site named "firstfeast".   Winnie

This paper (credited to Anne J. Barnes May 1995) can also be found in many
sites that host Jack's handouts, including Cindy's site under "Newman"
http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/  and in Linda's Smith's site www.bflrc.com.

It is a wonderful handout, very useful to help moms remember the teaching I
do.

When I have a baby who repeatedly pulls in the lower lip despite leading
with the chin techniques from the mom. I will take the teaching of the
asymmetric latch one step further and have the mom use the areola instead of
just the nipple tip to tickle and tease the baby.  This serves to gently
press the lower lip down and out mechanically.

Carla