From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:26:21 -0400
When I do the math in my head I use 30 g per ounce for simplicity.  I was
taught 28 point something.  Never heard of using 35 g per ounce, ever.  What
does Medela say is the reason for that?
When I don't do the math in my head I use the calculator function in my
computer or my cell phone, whatever is handiest.  I convert the English
weight into a decimal value, by dividing the number of ounces by 16 and
adding that decimal fraction to the number of pounds.  Then I divide that
number by 2.2, which is what I was taught was the conversion factor from
pounds to kilograms.
Next time I am at work I will check to see what our infant scales use as a
conversion factor.  It has never occurred to me that it might be something
other than 28 point whatever.  But since we only ever use the pounds and
ounces display to show US ex-pats a number they can report to the folks
back home, it doesn't much matter.
Rachel Myr
thankful for the simplicity of working in the metric system, in Kristiansand,
Norway