From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:44:00 -0500
Ann Twigg writes, re: the rice-added ABM that's set us all a-buzzing today:
"USDA has also approved its
use in the WIC program.  The product literature indicates that this infant
formula was designed as a nutritionally balanced alternative to
conventional infant formula with added infant rice cereal WHEN A
PHYSICIAN RECOMMENDS THE USE OF A THICKENED FORMULA"

I had lunch today with my former WIC co-workers specifically for the purpose
of finding out what they knew about this stuff, and they told me that it's
NOT approved for use in WIC. Could this vary state-by-state? Anyway, they're
getting a lot of complaints here because so many of the mothers WANT this
stuff, and their doctors tell them to use it (for the "reflux" supposedly),
but they can't get it through WIC.

I'm blown away by this whole concept. Dr. Jack & others who know lots of
stuff, what about this dx. of "reflux" anyway? I'm suspicious of the whole
thing, frankly - we hear that dx. so often - most of the time it sounds to
me like a HCP who doesn't know what else to say about a spitty baby.

So if this E****** AR junk is REALLY to treat the dreaded reflux, shouldn't
it be sold on prescription, treated like a drug rather than a food?

Kathy Dettwyler & all you others who told me I give people too much credit,
I think you might be right! This thing seems to be setting me off. I swear,
some folks don't have the brains god gave geese!

Cathy Bargar, Ithaca NY. What next? We've already got "formulas" for all age
segments of the population, we've got medicines that taste like candies,
we've got diapers for big kids and diapers for grown-ups...(rant, rant...)