From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 12:50:51 -0400
I've been using the same method to talk about breastfeeding advantages in
my childbirth classes for the past seven years.  We make a chart -
advantages of breastfeeding/breastmilk
    baby       mom         dad

advantages of artificial baby milks/bottle feeding
   baby        mom         dad

It doesn't take very long for the class to make their
conclusions...("Aren't there ANY advantages of bottlefeeding for babies?"
"Well...we don't have any listed...I can't think of any, can you?")
   The breastfeeding initiation rate is probably about 90% in my classes
(a skewed sample, mostly middle class whites in a small town with many
old hippies - so lots of these people were breastfed!).  Many quit sooner
than they'd like...a recent hospital survey found that 50% felt they
needed breastfeeding help at home.
   Certainly couples are most focused on L&D at this point.  But I find
that giving just a bit of breastfeeding info each week (a la Sarah
Coulter Danner's articles in Childbirth Educator probably back in 1989)
works well.  And dads are usually just realizing they're really pregnant
right around 28-30 weeks - the time when most are starting childbirth
classes.  I find dads from my classes are big breastfeeding boosters.
(And sometimes I get phone calls from the nurse manager of the Birthing
Center telling me to back off on the breastfeeding talk - I'm an
independent educator who teaches all the classes at the hospital.)
   And a Shakespeare quote about Lactnet (via Madeline L'Engle):
Oh wonderful, wonderful, and yet again wonderful, and after that out of
all whooping :-)
   Dawn M. Kersula, IBCLC, FACCE ([log in to unmask])