From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:36:17 -0500
Last night I spoke to the Pediatric Section at our hospital about the
Lactation  services and what we do. At the end, one of the pediatricians
brought up that I had asked his patient to talk to him about having its
tongue tie clipped in order that breastfeeding go easier.  He stated that
the AAP does not recommend this procedure and until it does, he would not
be referring any patients for it.  He said there is NO proof that tongue
tie causes any problem at the breast.

My question is, what is the AAP's view on this?  I sort of wanted to
say,"Does the AAP recommend routine circumcision?"  but thought it not a
good thing to say at that time.  Probably 99% of our little guys are
circumcised.

If anyone knows, I would appreciate information.  Also when the new
guidelines come out, will it be addressed then?

Ann Calandro, RNC, IBCLC
Piedmont Medical Center
Rock Hill,SC