From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:36:32 -0700
Hello, it seems this question gets asked just about every year!

With over 1,000 lab-confirmed cases of seasonal flu in our area and several
hundred hospitalizations, and 5 deaths, and a higher rate of complications
in younger people because most of the flu right now is H1N1, I'm looking
for the most current guidelines or advice on H1N1/seasonal flu for
breastfeeding mothers.

CDC still has 2009 guidelines up, and most of the rest of what I have found
is based on those 2009 guidelines. I'm concerned about continuing to share
information from 2009 as the CDC seems to encourage separation of mother
and baby. Jack Newman's handout, also from 2009, refers to this and
disagrees with it.

Last year Liz Brooks helpfully retrieved the CDC's "Guidance for the
Prevention and Control of Influenza in the Peri- and Postpartum Settings"
which provides specific guidelines for separation after delivery mother is
ill with suspected or confirmed influenza:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/infectioncontrol/peri-post-settings.htm

I don't know how useful this is for mothers who are in a home setting and I
am concerned about breastfeeding relationships being sabotaged by
conflicting information about separation.

CDC 2009 advice
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/infantfeeding.htm
(Archived, refers to CDC seasonal flu website but there is no specific
breastfeeding advice there that I can find.)

Newman
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=49

This eastern Ontario handout isn't dated or references but appears to be
more current and doesn't recommend separation.
http://www.eohu.ca/segments/topics_e.php?segmentID=23&topicID=285

LLL Canada has this on their website, produced here in Alberta and I'm
inclined to share it but want to make sure it's still current.
http://s.lllc.ca/files/H1N1.pdf

Thanks,

-- Jodine Chase
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

PS

Of interest, this study was released today:

"Flu shots while pregnant tied to lower preterm birth risk: Vaccination
rates highest when pregnant women receive recommendation from health care
provider

CBC New <http://www.cbc.ca/news/cbc-news-online-news-staff-list-1.1294364>Posted:
Jan 06, 2014 12:13 PM ET
Pregnant women who received a flu shot were less likely to deliver early or
have babies with low birth weight, say researchers .... "

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/flu-shots-while-pregnant-tied-to-lower-preterm-birth-risk-1.2485613