Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 21:40:25 +0200
I guess it will not come as a shock to any of you that this week's British
Medical Journal in its 'news' section, reports on a study showing that Philip
Morris interfered in the ad campaigns for products to treat nicotine addiction
of at least two pharmaceutical companies, getting them to remove anti-smoking
messages from the adverts directed at the public.
The companies in question were at that time suppliers of pesticides to the
tobacco industry, and the trade was worth enough to them that they toned down
their anti-smoking messages (good trick, since they were advertising Nicorette
gum and patches) so as to keep tobacco companies as customers for the
pesticides.
I know this is not about breastfeeding, or about artificial baby milk.  It is
about how decisions get made in the industry that professes to be in business
mainly to provide us and our children with helpful products to maintain and
improve health.  It seems prudent to have a high index of suspicion about
anything they do.  I wish the AAP realized this.
You can read the article at the www.bmj.com website.  There is free access to
this site.
Rachel Myr
sheeshing away in Scandinavia