Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 09:25:03 +0000
To all Canadian Lactnetters,

There is a Canadian senate commission roving the country now to look
into the question of access issues and custody when couples break up.
I found out about this only when they had finished in Toronto, or I
would have applied to present to them.  I think they have already gone
to and finished in Montreal as well.  However, they will be going out
West soon, and will be in the Martimes after that.

This is a good opportunity for someone to get in there and help these
people understand the issues of breastfeeding and access and why
prolonged separation from the mother is bad etc.

I am not sure how to find out when exactly they are coming, and how to
get to speak to them, but perhaps the city desk of your local paper
will know.

Apparently the hearings are really tumultuous and bitter.  There was a
lot of publicity here in Toronto about the fact that one senator
started crying during a particularly raucous session.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC