From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 22:54:21 GMT
Very interesting about adoption in developed and less developed countries. I
wonder what the reasons for adoption are. Again you have to look at
correlation vs cause/effect. For example, are the mothers adopting in the
USA adopting due to primary infertility and they are mostly nulliparous? Are
the mothers in less developed countries adopting due to for example, the
death of their sister and they take in the orphaned child, but also have
other children of their own that they have bf? Do you see what I am saying?
I agree it is hard to know exactly what to say in these situations but you
have to be as factual (realistic) as possible while being encouraging too.
Maybe the culture in the USA precludes "normal" bf patterns which may be
many times an hour, but in the USA we nurse every 3 hrs? Is this what makes
the moms fail at adoptive bf? I am just throwing out questions. And do we
really know the rates of "success" and "failure" in those developing
countries, and how do we define this? Do these moms get a full milk supply
in 5 days? What exactly is happening? A very interesting topic.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA