Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:15:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/30/00 6:38:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  I think they are looking at computerizing patient care,
 but I have no idea how far into the future that is. If any of your
 hospitals have adopted good computer programs, can you share the source
 with me, privately if necessary? >>
Hi Phyllis,
Congrats on your new job - sounds like you have alot of latitude for creating
it in the way that works for you!  The hospital where I do rounds uses a
system called "Meditech".  It's a fairly uncomplicated program - at least as
much as I use.  Don't hear people swearing at the computers ever so probably
works well for everybody else too.  I also do teaching skills on a hand
written document in each of each patient I work with.  The best way to get
the most out of your time investment is to try to get the nurse who wants you
to see her pt accompany you so s/he can learn how to help better next time -
Next best thing to cloning yourself!
The part about the heavy Spanish speaking population is also a reality at my
facility.  Rather than getting translators, how about getting some intensive
Spanish language training for the LC's? It would certainly add to your
personal worth.  My Spanish has gone from rusty to fairly fluent in a very
short period of time and it certainly adds to one's credibility to speak with
a patient in her native language.  I really recommend checking out that
option.  Good luck in your new adventure!
Sincerely,
Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
The Lactation Connection
private practice, So. Calif, USA ...and hospital rounds at least for the
summer!