From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:45:25 -0500
I agree that we go thru bouts of this or that and think we have all the answers and later, when someone really studies the problem, all the sudden we see less and less.  Thrush in Atlantic City in  August is a given - why?  probably something to do with hot, humid weather.  Never had a chance to study it, but I know it still happens.  Generally see less white tongues now days than I used to, but I do know that various syndromes wax and wane over a period of times (like strep - a few years ago we saw maybe a case a week, now it is every day- is it better testing? ??? using same test now that we did then.)

I do see a lot of TT ( feel like a TT magnet)  also see mom still has sore nipples, or baby is poor weight gain or baby is "colicky, fussy, unsatisfied or refluxing  a lot.  I also realize I see many of these babies after competent LCs have worked with moms, but aren't allowed to diagnose or refer :-(  (referring back to ped who hadn't noticed or doesn't believe it makes a difference isn't  helping anyone!)

We know more now about TT, 40 years ago moms didn't call, just switched to bottles and told all their friends that BF really hurt.

Has something changed environmentally?  Is it really too much folate?  Figure that out and you'll get the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

The basic question :is mom comfortable and is baby comfortable and gaining nicely?  Pat in SNJ, APN, IBCLC

PS: Fun info for the day.  Came across  while checking articles.  Percentage of C-sec from 1996 to 2009 rose 60 % to 32.9% of US births.  2013 was 32.7% (latest figures)  The peak was in 2009, but the decline sure is slow, IMHO.