From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 07:53:29 -0500
This does not yet seem to me a prolonged nursing strike.  Four weeks,
that's a prolonged nursing strike.  The striking feature (ha ha) of a
nursing strike is that though the mothers say that the baby no longer
nurses, he will often nurse at night or when half asleep.

The mother should not try to feed this baby when he does not want to.
Even a few feedings a day will keep things going.  She should not
succumb to giving bottles and she can feed the baby off a spoon
(solids ± liquids) if she is worried.  She can try putting the baby to
the breast when he is half asleep, at night (in bed together, skin to
skin) or the mother can walk him around and try putting him to the
breast while he is settling in her arms.  It is better to let him suck
his hand rather than try to force him to the breast, which will not
work in any case.

This also sounds like a situation where domperidone will also be very
helpful.

This is also getting bloody embarrassing that everyone is posting
about problems in Toronto and area, where we have at least 12 hospital
based breastfeeding clinic, where we have terrific LC's around and so
on.  How come these mothers know to e-mail to the UK and Louisiana and
who knows where else, and can't find help locally?

No comment on having to wean before the operation.  Some doctors are
incapable of learning or understanding, especially surgeons.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC