Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:30:35 EDT
Hello,

I had a couple in today with a 2-month old baby. Mom has been trying
EVERYTHING to get this baby to take a bottle, from 4 weeks of age.  The baby
has a total aversion to anything other than breast in her milk.  We tried
every nipple and bottle under the sun (NUK, Evenflo, long nipple, slow flow
nipple, single whole nipple, finger feeding, even a new bottle on the market
shaped like a breast). The baby screams, chokes, gags on everything. The mom
works 15 miles away from the caregiver. Caregiver is going crazy. Any
suggestions? We tried feeding the baby when she is just waking up, holding
the baby facing away from caregiver, holding the baby in cradle hold with
expressed milk on a blanket next to her.  ARGH.

Incidently, this is a 2-woman couple, not a traditional mom and dad. I didn't
ask any questions about THAT.

Well, any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated, as this "couple" is
at wits end (and so is the baby!)

Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC