From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:15:38 -0300

><<But it  made me think of a lot of our attitudes about baby humans. =
>*We* feel a need  to bathe, so *they* must need baths.  *We* eat 3 meals =
>a day, so  *they* ought to be eating big meals at long intervals also.  =
>*We* need  more than just milk, so obviously *they* do too.  *We* need =
>water in  hot weather so surely *they* do.  *We* don't need to be held =
>all the  time; why should *they*?  *We* self-soothe, why can't *they*?  I  =
>guess it shouldn't surprise me that Ezzo makes so much sense to so  many.>>

True, in part. However, I do eat more than three times a day (that's why
Linda Smith's game is so obvious for me, as a person who has a miserable
time finding a 'clean mouth' space to take homeopathic remedies),
especially when you count cups of tea. And I don't self-soothe as well
as I co-soothe -- nor do I prefer solitary sleep to co-sleeping. :-)

I think many of a baby's needs are basic human needs that adults have
learned to survive without. People have forgotten what it's like to
thrive. Perhaps that's why we're defensive; we hate to admit our inter /
dependence. Ezzo buys into those fears by suggesting we can control our
lives and even those of others. If we can, nothing bad will happen to us
and we won't need other people so much. Separating people from each
others, pitting one family member's needs against another's (who is in
charge: baby or mom?), moves us exactly in the wrong direction, away
from empathy.

Maybe the world would be saner if we all were held as much as we needed
to be.

Jo-Anne