Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2009 18:23:54 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
It was now mid afternoon (baby was born at 6:25 AM)  Mom went to shower and grandma cuddled baby skin-to-skin.  Suddenly baby woke up, started bobbing and lunged toward grandma's "breast".  Mom came out of the shower, took baby and baby did self attach and has been nursing beautifully since.  So even if the start isn't ideal, it's not too late.  I think several things helped-baby was not "forced" to nurse, mom was confident, nurses were patient (in general, the nurses were far better than the hospital policies and procedures) and grandma is a lactation conlultant certified in 1985 and with 41+ years as a La Leche League Leader-in fact the mom in the story "attended" LLL meetings as a small child.

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm the grandma and this is the reason I missed the ILCA conference!  Unfortunately, my daughter is not married,the father has no involvement and she only learned she was pg when she was 7 months along!  She didn't know at first if she would be keeping the baby or giving her up for adoption.  She had to deal with all the pregnancy adjustments, being basically evicted from her living arrangements, having to find housing  and move all in too short a time.  I was in an emotional turmoil in addition to the situation because I wasn't sure I could bear to continue working in the lactation field if I would be constantly reminded of the grandchild I would never be able to watch grow up!  It was the day before the maximum refund for registration ended and I immediately cancelled my ILCA Conference registration.  I planned to be with my daughter at this time whatever her outcome.  There was also concern because she is 42
 years old so the chance of problems with the baby were a little higher.  

As the reality dsettled in and she was able to work out some of the physical difficulties, baby began to tug on mom's heartstrings and a couple weeks age she realized she could not give this baby away.  She knows it won't be easy, but she is determined and turned out to be a "natural" mother  Of course it helps that Kaitlynn Rose is the most beautiful baby in the world.  (Absolutely no bias on my part!)

One thing I would like people to be aware of.  There is a tendency in our field to assume as we get older and our children are grown that we will, of course have grandchildren.  Even before this, I was always feeling a little wierd when everyone would talk about their grandchildren and then wait expectantly or ask me outright, "What about your grandchildren?"  Please be aware that not everyone our age who loves working with moms and babies and has had children will also have grandchildren and the subject may be a sensitive one.

Winnie Mading LLLL, RN, IBCLC, MOM and now GRANNIE

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2