From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:23:00 -0400
First the history, then the point.

History: I'm one of the original founders of IBLCE and ILCA. I've been
teaching a 36-hour course that does double-duty as Exam Prep and Lactation
Management for 9 years. Some take the course as exam review; others take it
as their introduction to professional lactation work. Some think they're
ready for the exam when they sign up, and quickly realize they're
floundering in the deep end without even knowing how to dog paddle. Others
think they've got years of study ahead, only to discover that they're
swimming circles around the know-it-alls.  I've researched issues of
professional credentials and public protection for nearly 20 years.

Now the point. I do NOT issue a "certification" at the end of my course.
Never have, and never will. When potential students ask "What can I call
myself when I finish your course?" - my answer is "SMARTER." They can say
that they've attended a 36-hour lactation management course. They can
display their CERP and CEU certificates. They can take the IBLCE exam. They
can say they got 94% on my "mock exam." Most come out far more educated than
when they started. Most realize how much MORE there is to learn and know.
But none can say, as a result of my one-week course, that they are
"certified." Speaking only for myself, I will not encourage (and in fact
will actively discourage) the public confusion that results from multiple
entry-pathways and local "titles" that are a characteristic of some
professions and occupations.

Perhaps that means I lose some students to agencies or institutions that
want a cheap and quick solution to an IMMENSE gap in their clinical support
for breastfeeding. OK, I can accept that. Helping some staff members get
some education in BF is a big step in the right direction!

And finally, for everyone on Lactnet, regardless of our backgrounds,
credentials, and titles - please continue to support this wonderful forum,
good sounding board, and (hopefully) safe place for sharing
profession-specific knowledge. Keep writing and reading - our world and the
mother & babies we help are richer for everyone's contributions!

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre www.bflrc.com
6540 Cedarview Ct., Dayton, OH 45459-1214 USA
(937) 438-9458 email [log in to unmask]