From:
Susan Moxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 22:18:32 -0300
>Hi Martha
>
>I am just going through my mail of the last ten days! I was interested to
see your description of the talk you gave to family practice residents.
Last week I too gave a talk to family practice residents and we like minded
people chose exactly the same video clips!  I was lucky enough to be given
two hours - joy! Even though there were rumblings about what on earth could
anyone say about breastfeeding that would take two hours!!!!

They had given me a list of topics they wanted info on, everything from what
is a good latch to mastitis and biting.  I managed to work it all in and
start from the beginning with hospital practices that sabotage BF to how it
leads to the problems we see in practice.  I also went armed with all the
textbooks written on breastfeeding I could carry to show them what is
available. I made up a bib of articles to try to grab their interest, and
community resources such as the mother risk clinic for drug information, and
a local psychiatrist who specializes in postpartum depression and supports
BF.  I gave them freebies including the lovely coloured info sheet that Kay
Hoover was selling on fungal infections picked up at ILCA.  I also told them
about the only LC in their hospital who happens to be a labour and delivery
nurse and told them when they did their OB tour to look out for and learn
from her etc.

They actually applauded me when I finished, my talk was followed by a local
surgeon who specializes in unusual breast problems and who also works well
with local LC's. He tells MOMs he knows nothing about breastfeeding so they
should go back and see the LC who referred them. I invited them to call me
or any other of our local practicing LC's if they had a question we would be
more than happy to help.

My L & D friend called me two days later, she said the evening after my talk
one of the docs had rushed in to look for her with all kinds of questions
and yes she enjoyed the talki!  Little by little progress is made that is
what we must focus on.

Susan Moxley IBCLC