From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:24:35 -0600
Hi All,

    I think I am just feeling a bit fed up today with the moms who call me
frustrated about their low milk supply, but then tell me that their baby
sleeps 10 hours at night and the mom doesnt get up to pump during that
stretch.  I had one mom who was soley pumping  4xday for 40 oz, and she was
complaining about having to pump 4x and wanted to know when she could go
down to 3!  I just feel like screaming some times about how selfish our
society has become!  (I'm speaking U.S. here)  Moms choose to pump, so that
"others" can feed their babies.  They are providing breastmilk, at least, so
feel less guilty.  But they are unable to hold their babies 10 times a day
to feed them!  Ugh!  Its just so frustrating!  I responded to one mother
today with:

"It is ok to go 4-5 hours without pumping/breastfeeding, but not 9-10 ! That
is where the harm is. When people ferberize their children to get them to
sleep longer, it works, but if they are breastfeeding and don't continue to
pump in the middle of the night, then their supply suffers. That is just the
hard truth. Our bodies were not meant to go that long without stimulation.
Thru-out history, babies have fed consistantly thru the night. It wasn't
until moms started working outside of the home, that we started to
"structure" their feeding schedules. SOME moms are able to do this, because
after the 9-10 hour stretch, they pump off 10-12 oz. As long as that amount
prevails, it is ok to go that long, but when it starts lessening, it is time
to add a pump in the middle somewhere. "

I HATE FERBERIZING!  But I try to keep my personal opinions to myself and
stay "research based".  There was just nothing sweeter in the whole world
than the time I spent breastfeeding my kids!

I was interviewed yesterday for the Babytalk Magazine regarding ways to
increase your milk supply.  In my research, just to make sure I said
everything correctly and havent veered off onto my own
opinion................ I came across something interesting.  It seems to me
there is some confusion, at least by me, as to the difference in the herbs
"milk thistle" and "blessed thistle".  I hope someone can help me out here.
I have always suggested fenugreek and blessed thistle.  I stopped suggesting
the blessed thistle some years back when I heard Dr. Hale mention how he had
looked at several different brands of blessed thistle only to discover that
very little blessed thistle was actually contained in any of the capsules!
Sometime recently I discovered thru reading that blessed thistle help defray
to gas that moms might experience from the fenugreek.  So I now suggest
blessed thistle IF moms are having a difficult time handling the fenugreek.
But when I was researching for this interview, I found that in Ruth
Lawrence's book she states, upon listing the most prominent herbs :
"fenugreek, fennel, milk thistle (not blessed thistle, which is an entirely
different species), lemongrass, goat's rue, and anise."   Lisa
Marasco....are you out there???  What is the difference between milk thistle
and blessed thistle????

Thanks for letting me rant.  I feel a little better.

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC

Austin, Tx