From:
Kerry's Herbals <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:11:08 -0600
Hi everyone! I help moderate a breastfeeding support board at a parenting
website. Today I encountered a mother who, in the course of asking a
question about something completely unrelated, mentioned that she
supplements with formula due to "insufficient glandular tissue." In
responding to her question, I asked if she was working with an LC, and how
she came about this diagnosis. She explained that it was diagnosed when she
was 29 (she is now 35) via mammogram. She stated that she is an x-ray tech,
and she "knew what [she] was looking at" besides the radiologist telling her
that this is what was going on.

She made it very clear that she did not wish to discuss that subject
further, so I was unable to get additional information from her regarding
her history. She stated that the current child is her third, but didn't
mention if she had breastfed or attempted to breastfeed the others.

I admit I don't know a lot about the subject (beyond certain characteristics
of the breasts that might indicate a problem), but it was my understanding
that "insufficient glandular tissue" was just one of those tenuous diagnoses
that are made when all other possibilities are exhausted. Are there truly
diagnostic tests that can be done to determine if this is the mother's
problem? Can a diagnosis of insufficient tissue be made via mammogram? I'm
skeptical that she (or the radiologist) would have enough experience working
with lactating women that they would be able to recognize it, but hey, you
never know.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kerry Luskey
LLLL, Minneapolis