Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 10:12:45 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (3 lines)
I agree with Carla D'Anna and Ann Stiller.  Since every baby is different, we have to read each babies cues as to needs for minimial stimulation to the lower lip with the breast or needs for quick "hugging in" to  breast to allow them to feel the breast on their tongue, which can stimulate sucking.  Cramming is inexcusable, but a middle of the road approach may be just what certain babies need.  With our premies, I am very gentle with my approach.  If a baby sleeps,  arms and legs become limp, develops hiccups,  color mottles, etc., I read these as stress cues and have  mom snuggle baby at breast while we gavage feed, so baby can associate being at breast with having hunger needs met.  If a larger baby is crying, I have him snuggle with mom to calm down, or offer a few syringe fulls of breastmilk if available or ABM if I know he's going to be bottle fed ABM if he doesn't breastfeed. Dribbling the milk onto mom's breast or having her express milk at breast seem to help calm some babies and help with latch on.  There's a lot of variability, isn't there?
Dani Hudspeth BSN, RN, IBCLC

ATOM RSS1 RSS2