From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 05:37:39 EST
Dear Friends:

I saw a picture of a nursing dyad, where the mother was using the cross
cradle hold......the artwork was at least 200 years old. That was a first for  me.
The only paintings I've seen show some variation of the cradle hold. (I
don't know the name of the artwork.)

Adding my 2 drops of newborn milk to the discussion of positioning, I  feel
my job in the hospital is to create an environment where the mother is free  to
discover what is best for her. Many mothers, given such an environment (as
with labor and delivery) naturally move to the positions that work best. It has
 always amazed me that women instinctively use a cigarette hold when their
nipple/areola configuration and breast texture demands it!

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral  therapy practitioner
_www.myspace.com/adonicalee_ (http://www.myspace.com/adonicalee)