From:
Howard Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 11:00:48 EST
Here's a different twist on visiting the dentist with babies and children.

About nine months ago I took my three children to the dentist.  We were trying
out a new dentist in Harley Street, London to whom my husband goes for
convenience to work.  It was not an easy journey for me with three small childen
on the Underground.  The older two and I needed check ups.  The baby (who had no
teeth yet) always goes where I go anyway.  We were all in one big room and each
girl had her turn in the chair.  When it was my turn, Kayla, who was a 10 month
old avid nurser, insisted on staying with me and nursing through the entire
procedure.  I needed two followup visits for some dental work and each time I
got in the chair, Kayla insisted on helping me through the procedure with a dose
of those wonderfully relaxing hormones.  A perfectly satisfying dental
experience.

Another dentist story:  This summer past a mother called me for bf support with
her 14 month old.  Turns out she is a dentist locally (5 minutes from my house).
Since getting to know her, LLL now has a supportive dentist who advocates
breastfeeding to all her pregnant clients and to those with young breastfed
babies she encourages them to continue - from the dental point of view.  We have
since switched to the local dentist.

Eileen Martell, LLLL, London, England