Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:36:32 -0400
Dear Kathy,

You wrote:

"Someone wrote:  "allergist Doris Rapp wrote in I believe 1990 ("Is This
your
Child?") that children with different kinds of behavioral problems,
especially ADHD, often were 'kickers' in the womb, and had
bouts of hiccoughing every day. This is almost always a reaction to the
mother drinking a lot of milk because she wants to eat a healthy food,
according to Rapp. (If she stops drinking milk, the behavior in the womb

stops.) These are then the colic-babies, and later, the hyperactive kids
. .
. - Rapp wrote this in the early 1990s -- why hasn't this knowledge
become
mainstream?

Wow.  I have certainly never heard this before.  Bizarre idea.  I had
one
major kicker/hiccougher -- my first child, my daughter Miranda.  She
didn't
have colic and has never been hyperactive.  In fact, everyone in my
family
is hypo-active.  Meaning we're all couch potatoes.  My second child was
very
calm in the womb, no kicking.  I use to call him my Tai Chi kid, after
Miranda, my karate kid.  Of course, he is the one who has Down Syndrome.

Also no colic, no hyperactivity.  Third child was in-between in the
womb, no
colic, no hyperactivity.  Of course, this is only a sample size of 3,
not
scientific at all.

Has there been any real *research* on Rapp assertion, or just her
theory?

Kathy Dettwyler"

During my second pregnancy, my daughter hiccoughed every night at 10 PM,
she may have done it other times of the day, but at 10 PM there was
nothing going on to distract me. It seems to me she kicked about the
same as her brother, which was plenty, but I am not sure how you
determine major kicker. After birth she continued with the 10 PM
hiccoughs. I HATE dairy and avoided it as much as I dared while
pregnant. She was not colicky, not hyperactive and didn't have any
attention problems. She is academically gifted (I'm sure it was the
breast milk!) as is her brother (MUST be the breast milk!!) I think if
you study all babies, their mothers would think they kicked a lot and
most had hiccoughs. It sounds like a stretch to me, to lay ADD and
hyperactivity on these early traits.