From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:50:42 -0500
Before I broach the question of whether mothers can breastfeed with this
medication, please, if you can possibly avoid it, use generic, not trade
names.  The last one Nomadine or whatever it is (labetelol), is a US but
not Canadian trade name.  Thus, I had no information about it.  You are
cutting off a fair number of lactnetters from possibly helping if you
use US trade names.  I know it is a pain in the neck, but it is like
saying Similac instead of modified cow's milk.

Phenelzine is a antidepressant of the MAO inhibiter type.  There is
little information I have about it in lactation.  However, the Canadian
equivalent of the PDR says "The potential benfit of this drug, if used
during pregnancy, lactation or in women of childbearing age, should be
weighed against the possible hazard to the mother or fetus".  When the
book says that, it must be super safe.  Because even with little risk
they usually say to discontinue lactation.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC