From:
Barb Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 11:23:56 -0500
From: coleb                Mon Apr 08, 1996 -- 09:57:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]@
Hi all,

I have a case I could use some input on.  Mom is in her third pregnancy.
Tried to breastfeed the first baby, became extremely engorged so the baby was
unable to latch on, pumped for a while but engorgement didn't resolve and she
stopped breastfeeding.  Her second baby she didn't even try to breastfeed
thinking she could avoid the problem.  Became severely engorged again lasting
about 6 weeks.  Pregnant a third time and will try to breastfeed again since
she gets engorged regardless.  Physician has never done any testing to find
out what is going on.  Mom states she only has three periods a year but has
never had any trouble conceiving.  Looked in Lawrence's book and she
describes Chiari-Frommel syndrome and several other disorders that it could
be.  The OB laughed at me because he said he hasn't heard of these disorders
since medical school!!  Now you can see the position I am in.  Mom wants to
know what future effects she is going to have to deal with because of this
apparent hyperprolactinemia.  She has a different OB now than ahe did with
the first two because her doc is on a medical leave.  Can any of you smart
people out there help me to know what to tell this mom?  My tentative plan is
to help her breastfeed with the help of cabbage (long-term use?) and I would
think an endocrine physician would help her more than these OB's have.
(Another example of interest only below the waist!  Do we have to deal with a
whole person when all we want to do is deliver babies?!?)

My computer's acceptance of digests is on-the-blink.  Would you E-mail
privately with any suggestions you may have?  T(VM)IA

Barb Cole, RN ,IBCLC