From:
PATRICA A Bucknell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:26:42 -0500
Mary,
I've been facilitating a support group for about 3 years for one of our
hospitals.  It was slow going at first.  But things have really picked up
in the last year or so.  A flyer has always gone into the mom's discharge
BF packet (but how many moms actually open such info once they get
home?).  I think these are things that have helped attendance pick up.  I
teach the BF class for 2 hospitals and always advertise the group to the
expectant parents.  The LCs on the floor tell me they remind every mom
they see about the group.  And I recently had my daughter make a simple
flyer stating when and where the group meets, using clip art found on the
internet.  The hospital copied and laminated the flyer and then put it up
in each of the rooms on the OB unit.  And after this amount of time
word-of-mouth advertising is working too.

Give yourself some more time for the group to get established.  I don't
have speakers or snacks.  I tell moms that this is a SUPPORT group, not a
class or a consult.  I can take a quick look at a latch, but don't have
time for concentrated one-on-one help.  I answer questions, discuss any
recent BF news, bring handouts that I've accumulated, make my BabyWeigh
scale available, and then let the moms chat among themselves.

Warmly,
Pat Bucknell IBCLC, RLC
private practice
Avon Lake OH