Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:40:06 -0500
Dear Friends:

Welcome back, Carol!

Weren't there reports from someone that visited Japan? That LC saw 20 breastfeeds a day when babies were left s2s with moms.

Try the book, Evidence to Support the 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, from the WHO. Ask Dr. Philips or Anne Merewood at Boston Medical Center ( a Baby-Friendly hospital) about the lack of jaundice there as a result of early bf.

The key is leaving infants s2s, so they will set the pace. Then the mother's body nourishes them, and supports the transition between the in utero and the outside. They will reach out when ready, and should be left alone to do so.

We can't schedule newborns. We have to think "placenta" at all times; how can we help this mother be a placenta for her baby? Suzanne Colson RM, PhD, in the UK, wrote about "biological nurturing", leaving the baby in mother's arms for the first 3 days after birth. At 6 weeks, 100% of SGA or preemies were still breastfeeding, and I am fairly certain it was exclusive breastfeeding. Sample was 11.

That's just for starters.

If the baby is separated from the mother's body, it becomes disoriented (Righard & Alade 1990). If labor meds are used, baby should be left s2s for at least 2 hours (Sepkoski, Nissen). Plus all the KMC work of Dr. Bergman; and the KC work of Dr. Ludington. What about the bed-sharing research (Ball and also McKenna) showing that babies bf more when right next to their mothers?

The baby has to be active and engaged. s2s keeps the baby safe, so it will come out of its shell and explore.

warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE