From:
Joanne Whistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 07:17:39 -0500
Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading lactnet for a while now, but this is my first post. Although I don’t work directly with breastfeeding mothers, I work in healthcare and do my best to get positive messages about breastfeeding included in as many blogs and government / NHS consultation responses as I can. I live and work in northern England

I am currently trying to get my employer to put a breastfeeding policy in place for its employees. I quite liked the following policy outline on the UK Equality and Human Rights Commission website, but can anyone suggest anything else that should be included and why? Does anyone have any other good policies on BF employees they could share with me? I hope this is an appropriate topic to post on, please let me know if not.

Best wishes,
Joanne
PS apologies if I inadvertently sent a partial message earlier, my computer seems to be doing some strange things

The company recognises the benefits of breastfeeding to mothers and infants and therefore encourages and supports staff members to breastfeed their babies, including upon their return to work. ‘Breastfeeding’ includes expressing milk and the same rights under this policy will apply to employees who wish to express milk to give to their baby. To this end, the company will:
•	Inform all employees of the rights provided under this policy as part of equal opportunities training or the induction programme in order to foster a positive attitude towards breastfeeding.
•	Inform all pregnant employees of the benefits of breastfeeding and their rights under this policy.
•	Perform a risk assessment in relation to all employees who plan to continue breastfeeding after their maternity leave.
•	Identify a named manager who will be responsible for performing the risk assessment and who should be given notice of the employee’s intention to continue breastfeeding or expressing milk on her return to work.
•	If necessary, adjust the working hours and/or conditions of breastfeeding employees, in consultation with each employee.
•	Permit breastfeeding employees to take additional breaks of up to one hour per full working day to feed their baby or to express their breast milk. If the employee prefers, this hour can be taken to shorten her working day.
•	Make available a private, comfortable and appropriately equipped room for breastfeeding employees to feed their baby or express their milk.
•	Specify a fridge where breast milk may be stored securely and specify a location where expressing equipment can be stored.