From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 19:56:35 -0400
Dear Barbara, I always love reading what you have to say!  At LLL conf we
were talking about wise women on Lactnet and all agreed that you are one!

Yes, I would have suggested a shield in this situation, at this point.  My
feelings are that it is better to nurse with a shield than never nurse at
all!  And I've never had a case where baby didn't eventually give up
shield--usually sooner than later.  It is simply another approach, not a
crime.  Rigid rules and not looking at the whole picture will get us IN to
more trouble than OUT of trouble!

I once learned that the causes of behavior are multiple, complex and
interrelated.  And the most important lesson I learned in nursing school
(and life, for that matter...) was to be flexible and go with the flow.  We
are dealing  with human beings-fearfully and wonderfully made.   Every
situation we deal with is can't be  "fixed" by a cookbook approach because
of the complexities and variations from mother to mother and baby to baby
and mother to baby.

Pat in SNJ