Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:50:42 +0000
When I said:

><Fundal height - hmmm....don't know about that. I would like to see good
>evidence that routine fundal height measurement is clinically useful.>

Jean picked me up on that, and said fundal height is useful to highlight
possible risky situations.

I was genuinely not knowing here - not challenging! A lot of antenatal care
has just grown without any evidence that routine checks are clinically
useful - that is, we don't know if they reduce the level of pregnancy or
childbirth problems, or increase the safety of pregnancy and childbirth to
mother and/or baby.

Fundal height?  well, according to Evidence Based Clinical Guidelines,
published by the (ultra-conservative, and medically- minded) Royal College
of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists,  in their section on 'effective
procedures' , fundal height measurement is one of the issues categorised as
'no strong evidence'. I quote:

" The numbers were too small in the one study looked at in the Cochrane
Library to draw any firm conclusions.