From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:03:52 -0400
Well, cobbling thorough my files has frustrated me:  I can't find the notes
from an excellent talk I heard from an allergist MD from Johns Hopkins,
discussing allergens for BF babies.

What I recall is this:  since peanuts CAN cross over both in utero and in
breastmilk, and set up a (severe) allergic reaction in a baby, BF mothers
with a family history will want to avoid peanuts while pregnant and
lactating (family history meaning mom, dad or another sibling is allergic to
peanuts).

BUT -- since some babies are the "first" in the family to get an allergic
reaction to something (for reasons that remain unclear), even moms with no
family history of allergy may want to refrain from peanuts while pregnant
and lactating.

I'll cobble some more later on to see if I can dig up the notes.

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA