From:
Margo Trueman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2010 06:47:25 -0700
<<but in relation to the justification of systems that require involuntary separation of mothers and babies in ways that would be deemed a breach of human rights in much of the world>>

I think the point that people are trying to make is that by signing on for the military, these mothers are committing to and voluntarily leaving their babies.  It can be distressing as some don't realise how strongly they're going to feel about it until after baby arrives and the window of opportunity to separate is temporarily closed.  It's a challenging situation; however, a mother is made aware of what her obligations will be after her baby is born prior to reenlisting.  It's unfortunate but it is a case of "you've made your bed, now you have to lie in it" and the goal is to help this mother continue to breastfeed through or resume breastfeeding after the separation.  The author of Breastfeeding in Combat boots reenlisted when pregnant with her first child and while she was fortunate to avoid deployment, she worked 12 hour shifts during that first year of his life before she sought & was granted an honourable discharge because being away from her baby day after day was far more difficult for her (especially from an emotional standpoint) than she expected.  We're not being unsympathetic to this and other mothers in the military, we're being realistic.  I am not American (although I've lived in the US for a decade now) but I am a military wife and I have talked with enlisted mothers with young babies.  Pardon my ignorance, but can it be considered a human rights issue when the mother reenlisted knowing she was due for drill or slated for deployment after her baby reaches the 6 month age mark?

Margo

"God illuminates us, then sends us into utter darkness to shine for Him"
Chuck Swindoll's version of an old Jewish saying of unknown (to me) origin