From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 09:43:25 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

There are 3 kinds of jaundice in babies: physiologic (also called 'lack of
breastfeeding' jaundice), ABO incompatibility and late-onset, aka "breast
milk jaundice". Sounds like this baby, at 1 month, is turning yellow.
Interesting that the health care provider in the case is ignorant of the
situation.

I don't know of any harm to babies who develop late-onset jaundice. The
ones I've seen have all been thriving, gaining weight, and happy.....and
peachy! My neighbor's boy was lucky enough to have an older pediatrician
who told her to keep nursing and put him in the sun every day for a while.
He checked the baby monthly, and after a few months, the color turned more
pink.

There are many theories about the etiology of late-onset jaundice. I can't
even pronounce some of them; here are three, but there are more:

1) Beta-glucoronidases and nonesterfied fatty acids in her milk may inhibit
bilirubin metabolism.
2) Unusual metabolite of progesterone in milk inhibits UDPGA.
3) Mutation in solute carrier organic anion transporter protein.

The old-time remedy was for a mother to scald her milk (scalding means
bringing the liquid in the pan almost to a boil; when little bubbles form
at the end of the pan, turn the heat off).....then cool the milk and feed
it to her baby.  Nowadays, most pediatricians will have the mother wean
temporarily to make sure the jaundice isn't from a sick liver or other
things. However, this always bothered me. Babies with late-onset jaundice
are happy and growing; a baby with liver disease won't grow. One mom had a
baby gaining half a pound a week, but weaned anyway because the
pediatrician scared her.

It doesn't make any sense either when the physician recommends  stopping
breastfeeding, and giving the baby inferior food as a treatment. WTF???

Another case, as our friend Jack Newman says, of sacrificing breastfeeding
on the altar of ignorance.

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
craniosacral therapy practitioner