From:
"Heidi A. Bingham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:09:40 -0400
> But there is nothing, not a word, about HOW to avoid letting the baby fall
> asleep at the breast, so I ask: do any of you know what practices are in
use
> to keep young babies from falling asleep at the breast?

Sadly, yes.  I was convinced with my first baby to not let her sleep at the
breast.  Things I was told to do included:
*tickling feet
*undressing to diaper
*application of cool clothes to head and back
*frequent burping
*diaper change half way through

I used to give her to my dh after side one was done and he would dance and
bop around with her to get her fully awake again before the second side.

If it didn't work, I would take her off the breast as she started to doze
off and put her down.  No more boobie until 2 hours had passes (from start
of the feeding).

She was a sleepy baby.  We did this a lot.  Need I tell you what happened to
my milk supply?

This is most definitely an Ezzo-type thing, though I had not read Ezzo at
the time (got introduced when my 3rd child was 12 months and I knew better).
He writes, (Prep for Parenting edition 5, pg 113):
----
One caution we offer new parents is to stay mindful of the sleepiness of
your newborn.  A newborn tends to fall asleep at the breast before he is
done nursing.  The parent's job is to keep him awake until feeding is over.
Rub his toes, change his diaper, or talk to him.  Work on trying to keep him
awake until the feeding period is completed.
----

My 5th baby had difficulty organizing his suck when he nursed.  He would
kick, squirm, wiggle and fuss.  Until I managed to sooth him to sleep, then
just as he was dropping off, he'd start drinking.  :)  He's 23 months old
and still does it to some extent.  I cannot imagine the cycle I'd've started
with him had I tried to keep him awake nursing.  Thankfully, I smartened up
by then!

~ Heidi