From:
Karen Seroussi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:05:39 -0800
I agree that the antioxidant properties are being completely ignored and am intrigued by the theory that damage from reactive oxygen species could set the stage for various chronic conditions.

  Yet another concern with phototherapy in this era of sunscreen--whether the intense light for the long duration on such an immature system can affect skin cancer-- that I always wondered about, so did a little search and found a recent article.

  Effect of neonatal phototherapy on melanocytic nevus count in children. Matichard et al.  Arch Dermatol. 2006 Dec;142(12):1599-604.

  The article is very cautious about criticizing the use of phototherapy for hyperbilirubinemia yet already found (in still young children) some evidence of skin change with prognostic value to future melanoma.  We can't even predict long-term consequences since this trend is still very new.  I want to add that, as usual, even if there are future consequences, it will be very hard to tie to the phototherapy so far down the road.

  Karen Seroussi, LLLL, IBCLC, MS-2
  Des Moines, IA