Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:10:39 EST

Cindy asks:

<<Is there a regulatory agency that might set up this criteria, ie  JCAHO>>

JCAHO (a) does not mandate what type  of personnel are hired in hospitals.

JCAHO (b) does not have any person  interested enough in MCH to worry about
breastfeeding as long as babies do not  come back into the hospital with
kernicterus.  You can search every  document they have, and the only place that
breastfeeding or  counseling/consulting occurs is in their kernicterus sentinel
alert.

I've been to the last 3 JCAHO Liaison  meetings, and have tried to bring up
the importance of the management of  breastfeeding relative to obesity,
kernicterus, hypoglycemia, FTT, etc etc, and  it has met on deaf ears.  Others
(midwives, Lamaze) have attempted to get  them to listen to the importance of
separating Maternity from the rest of the  hospital when looking at policies and
things that JCAHO looks at because we are  dealing with healthy mothers and
babies (for the most part -- many of whom come  in healthy, but may not leave that
way due to the many interventions) -- again,  to no avail.  I've asked if
there is anyone on the JCAHO staff that has a  particular interest in MCH or
breastfeeding -- no one.

Very frustrating -- don't turn to  JCAHO to get what you need.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- ILCA  Liaison to JCAHO