From:
Lois Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 01:55:45 -0700
The idea that fair hair (particularly red hair) and fair skin mean a
greater likelihood of sore nipples has a fairly long history, so far as I
can tell.  However, a former LLL colleague once said that in her opinion,
this distinction was not all that accurate.  For her, this idea reinforced
the notion that some women were too "delicate" to do such an animal thing as
breastfeed, while darker-skinned women would have no trouble.

So are there any scientific studies showing a link between
complexion/hair-colour and sore nipples?  We all "know" now that
positioning is considered to be the most important aspect of avoiding
sore nipples.  It is amazing to me that until the 1987 Womanly Art of
Breastfeeding came out, there was _very_ little literature which was
popularly available on the subject of proper positioning, and all of the
old books showed picture after picture of "wrong" positioning.

Lois Patterson
List-maintainer, Extended Breastfeeding List (parent-l)